A Scholar And a Hero Even In jail
The prison in Mandalay, Burma; a small room made of wooden planks; inside, a cot, a table, a chair and a bookshelf this was Tilak's room. There was no protection from wind and cold. And he was cut off from other men.
By the time Tilak completed one year in this jail, he got a note through one of his friends. The note said that if he accepted certain conditions, then he would be released. Tilak wrote back saying, 'I am now 53 years old. If I live for another ten Years, that means I shall live for five years after I come out of the prison. I can at least spend those five years in the service of the people. if I accept government's conditions, I am as good as dead'.
The rigorous imprisonment was reduced to simple imprisonment. So he was allowed to read and write. It was here that he wrote the book 'Gita-Rahasya'. It is a mighty work.
Tilak wished to forget his loneliness and so was always immersed in reading and writing. By the time his term of six years in the jail was over, he had collected about 400 books. In the prison he learnt German and French languages with the help of 'Teach Yourself, guides.
He returned to his old daily routine, which he had given up for want of time. Every morning he used to pray to God, chant hymns like the Gayathri Mantra and perform religious rites; then, he would read and write.
Tilak's, wife passed away in India when he was still rotting in the jail in Mandalay.
In India
Tilak was released on 8th June 1914. He was brought to Pune on the 16th and was let off. Many organizations in Pune arranged public meetings in honor of Tilak. Tilak said. "Six years of separation from you has not lessened my affection for you. I have not forgotten the concept of Swaraj. There will be no change in the programs I had already accepted. They will all continue as before."
By the time Tilak returned from Mandalay, there was a serious rift between the two Congress groups. His efforts to unite them were in vain. Then Tilak decided to build a separate powerful organization called the 'Home Rule League'. Its goal was Swaraj.
Tilak went from village to village, explained the aim of his league to the farmers and won their hearts.
'Home Rule' means that we ourselves should manage our homes. Should our neighbor become the master of our house? An Indian should have as much freedom in India as an Englishman has in England. This is the meaning of 'Home Rule' - so Tilak explained.
He traveled constantly, in order to organize the people. He spoke from hundreds of platforms about 'Home Rule'. And where ever he went he received a hero's welcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment